Friday, July 9, 2021

Printmaking with Natural Materials and Open Acrylics

 


After ordering some Golden OPEN acrylics, I had a fun session testing them out.


Materials

3” square mini gel plate

The end of an orange

Leaves

Flower blossoms with stems

Golden OPEN acrylics

Mixed media papers—7” x 10” and 9” x 12”


Previously I had used craft, heavy bodied, fluid, and high flow acrylic paints. But the consistency of the OPEN acrylics seems very well suited for gel printing. You don’t need to use a lot of paint, especially on the little plate.

 


I made many square grids on the papers. Once I got the hang of it, I was happy to see I could make some ghost prints. As the flower blossoms absorbed more paint, they created lovely imprints and outlines.

I live in a humid city, made more so with the recent rains. The OPEN properties keep the acrylic paints from drying so quickly and you have more time to set up your prints.



2 comments:

  1. I love your experiments with Golden Open. Thanks for sharing these images. I'm inspired to get some of these to try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Nancy. I think you'll really like them! Even if you get a few colors--maybe a red, yellow, and blue--you'll have enough to to play with.

      Delete