Sunday, December 14, 2008

Leafing Around


Three Nestled Leaves, Afire
acrylic on paper
9" x 7"




The last few weeks I returned making some leaf brayer paintings. Collecting fresh leaves downed by a recent storm, I remembered how much I enjoyed using them in my art.

Red Oak, Green Oak
acrylic on paper
8" x 9"

I tried some different things: nestling three leaves of different sizes together,
Nestled Leaves
acrylic on paper
8.75" x 7"
using different, contrasting leaves,
I Heart Leaves
acylic on paper
8" x 7"
and playing with design.
Interplay
acrylic on paper
9" x 12"
Some themes continue to resurface, including brayer ghost-images.

The Leaf Doesn't Fall Far from the Tree
acrylic on paper
9" x 12"

Another return is to the church where my husband and I were once very active. There is a new minister who has “re-energized the church,” in the words of a friend and former member. This is the one place where I felt I belonged and both David and I got those same feelings again these last two Sundays.

Contrasting Views
acrylic on paper
9" x 12"

5 comments:

  1. Lovely leaf prints!

    And that's good news about your church too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are some lovely pieces here. I Heart Leaves and Contrasting Views are my favourites.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the teal you used in these...beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful! The first one almost looks like it is lit from within.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, Angela. With the new minister, it does feel like my church again.

    Whenever I don’t feel particularly inspired, leaves come through to give their light, Robyn. Thank you for your kind words.

    Cobalt Teal is one of my favorite colors to play with, Michelle. Thanks for visiting.

    Hi Seth. So nice to hear your generous words.

    ReplyDelete