Sunday, November 23, 2008

Some New Brayer Paintings

Recently, I've thrown some new colors into my quick brayer paintings. A few years ago, I ordered a book on color theory and, as suggested, ordered a selection of professional artist paints. Problem was that I started but never completed the workbook and just dove in experimenting with colors that appealed to me.

My first experiments weren't pretty but I began seeing colors that played nicely with each other. Favoring several layers of warm transparent colors and adding a few cool opaque ones, I filled watercolor sketchbooks using a limited palette, occasionally adding a new color.

Now, I am trying out some opaques I hadn't really liked before--Cadmium Yellow Medium, Cadmium Red Light, Naples Yellow Hue, Turner's Yellow--a transparent I hadn't played with before--Acra Blue Violet--and one gorgeous semi-transparent--Deep Magenta.

So much more fun to lay color down with a brayer than to do those color swatches!







Peering Out
9" x 12"
acrylic on paper



Starry Desert Night at the Reservoir
7" x 8"
acrylic on paper




Unraveled
7 1/2" x 7"
acrylic on paper




Witness to Unraveling
8" x 7"
acrylic on paper





Becoming Whole
8" x 7"
acrylic on paper

5 comments:

  1. Nice job. My favorite is Peering Out. Very expressive. I would hang this one up.

    --Sarah Skilling

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your new paintings! Incredible texture. Especially love "Peering Out", the colours just sing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. those are beautiful!

    what book was it? I've been thinking of buying a color theory book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Sarah; when I did “Peering Out” I initially didn’t think it good enough to post. Glad I gave it a second chance.

    That’s so interesting that you also liked the almost-rejected one, Mixed Media Martyr.

    Hi Bridgette. It’s “Exploring Color” by Nita Leland. She has/had a companion workbook made of watercolor pages to do the exercises.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gina, I love that you experiment with your art and share the results. These are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete