Saturday, May 3, 2008

On the Threshold of a Dream (with nods to The Moody Blues)

After a long time of wanting to create a blog, I am finally able to do it. This comes after weeks and months of upgrading computer equipment by researching, learning, trying, failing, learning some more, being curious, and attempting it again. When I was finally successful, I heard the old Helen Reddy song in my head: "If I have to, I can do anything. I am woman!"

Long fascinated with words and reading, I thought my path was to be a writer. As testimony, I have many short stories and novels, some even finished. But a few years ago, art began calling my name.

Protesting, I had many reasons to resist. But the soft voice was insistent, beckoning in various ways. First, when editing a work newsletter, I began putting graphics alongside the articles. Then Mary, from my writing group, invited me on “sketch” outings and I bought some colored pencils. Soon, little drawings and leaf rubbings appeared in my journals. Then, I read “Living Color: A Writer Paints Her World” by Natalie Goldberg and marveled how free she felt painting--unencumbered with her inner writing critic, playfully pushing paint around. Soon, I purchased a cheap tin of watercolors and experimented with my friend. Finally, I signed up for a continuing education class in beginning acrylic painting.

That was it. I finally succumbed to the voice, more happy painting a canvas than writing a chapter. I liked really liked this art stuff. Results blossomed to life with a swirling paint brush. It was still a creative expression, just in a different form.

So now I begin this blog to chart my growth as an artist, to peer out of my shy soul and share my works, to express my thoughts, to interact with fellow artists, to explore new creative avenues, and to release my art into the world.

Thank you for joining me.








5 comments:

  1. Congratulations on taking the next step, Artistic Dreamer! I love the painting you have posted here. And I love the memories of our early art outings! Love, Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. I predict great things from your blog! I will visit often.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Mary. You were the guide who directed me to the great, wide world of art and are the artistic photographer and watercolorist who continues to inspire me!

    Thank you for your kind words and for visiting, Michelle. You have a wondrous blog; I will visit yours often, as well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are so many similarities. Since a little girl I was going to be a writer....no an artist...maybe a writer...no an artist. Isn't it great, this sharing between artists. Blogging is certainly an unexpected joy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes indeed, Robyn. Across time zones and continents artists connect! I see from your blog that you often combine art and journals, too. Writing may have been our first love but it led us to art, which led us to blogging, where we use both words and images. The cycle continues!

    ReplyDelete