Monday, March 30, 2009

Tribal Message



Tribal Message
11” x 14”
acrylic on canvas



Sometimes on a weekend, I find I can either make art or blog about art. Since I didn’t post yesterday, guess what I did?

I’m working on some experimental books. Since my last book sewing class is this week, I’d like to try something and show it around and get feedback. What’s unusual is that I’m making the pages ahead of time and then will sew them to the cover binding (leather? fabric? canvas?). There are so many options, I’m not sure I’ll finish in time!

So, here’s a painting from a few weeks ago. It might be done. It might want more.

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful, Gina! I like this a lot.

    (I'm having trouble thinking of titles for my work lately too.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aah my new favourite! The first thought that came to mind ..."Somewhere in Africa" though I'm sure it was furthest from your mind. I love the texture and the gold area which reminds me of gorgeous Adinkra cloth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Angela. Maybe the “untitled” virus is blowing in the spring air! :-)

    You made the most interesting comment, Robyn, that had me searching for the meaning of Adinkra cloth (ah, the wonders of Google!). What a great thing to convey a universal spirit in one's art. I love the fact so many cultures have many similar icons and themes in common. A tribal kinship. Hey, that might be the title!

    ReplyDelete