Sunday, March 15, 2009

Celebrating 50 Years




In Another Corner of the Universe...
9" x 12"
acrylic on paper








No big party, no fuss, but the calendar says it’s official—I’m 50 years old today. When we were very young, that seemed like such an ancient age, didn't it? Was it perhaps because people that age were always dressed in suits and dresses with oh-so-old-fashioned attitudes?




Leading up to this half-century mark, I had a very productive week playing with paint. Whether it was because I switched to hot-press watercolor paper or sobered by my approaching ancientness, I noticed mystical and soulful images emerging from my brayer.






Star Nursery
9" x 12"
acrylic on paper



Curious to see if techniques I discovered would translate from paper to stretched canvas, I tried duplicating this piece below.










Exploding Universe
9" x 12"
acrylic on paper




As you can see below, I could not get the same results, at least on my first try. Paper has such versatile qualities canvas cannot duplicate. If only it wasn’t such a pain to cut mats, mount, and frame…hmmm…maybe I’ll start mounting paper works on wood panels or canvases.









Exploding Universe 2
8" x 10"
acrylic on canvas




Thinking about the next 50 years (if I'm so lucky!), I am planning to open an Etsy site. Since January, I've been cleaning my studio, getting organized, culling works to sell, setting aside others for collage, and thinking about what kind of art to sell and materials to order. So far, I'm considering offering paintings on paper (with or without a pre-cut mat and bag), cards and calendars of my paintings, Dream Boxes (see: http://mymindisinablog.blogspot.com/2008/05/dream-boxes.html), and original gelatin prints. If you have any ideas or have an Etsy account yourself, I would love hearing your advice or comments.





Mountain Mirages
9" x 12"
acrylic on paper

4 comments:

  1. Happy birthday, Gina! Thanks for visiting my Late Bloomer blog. One of the best things about the internet, I think, is the way people find others with similar interests. I'm intrigued by your abstract acrylics, and the Mountain Mirages looks very much like it could be a collage - Mountain Collage Mirage. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on turning 50, things just get better from now on. I remember my mum at 50 who wouldn't dream of going to town without a hat, gloves and most definetly her girdle. How times have changed. Love your art and glad I stumbled across your blog and will become a follower. Enjoy your day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday...I like your blog and especially like this work.
    I wish you good luck on your Etsy site...I have been thinking of doing the same so I have no advice but it seems like a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for visiting, Sherry. I totally agree about what a wonder the art blogging community is.

    Yes, indeed, Dee. The world has changed considerably. Ugh, girdles--can you imagine us wearing those, those, things today??! :-)

    Well, I guess it's just a matter of jumping in and trying Etsy, Blue Sky Dreaming (love that name!). Best of luck to you, too, getting a site there.

    ReplyDelete