Saturday, March 22, 2014

Irish Patchwork Fabric Journal


 
 
After seeing a patchwork jacket in a Yuletide catalog, I could not get patchwork off my mind. The idea of using scrap bits of fabric and making a whole piece of clothing appealed to the recycler in me.
 
This gradually morphed into making a fabric journal cover, using remnants and embroidery thread. Teesha Moore has a lovely patchwork journal tutorial using two-sided fabric. I decided to try something a little different. Using a piece of primed canvas as a base, I hand sewed various swatches on and added a bit of poly fiberfill.
 
 
Experimenting with some Jacquard cotton ink jet sheets, I printed my photograph of cows near Doolin, Ireland. With an Emerald Island theme, I was off. I recruited a faded old linen tea towel with the Book of Kells animal imagery, some Celtic knot fabric, a Celtic button, along with colors and textures I associate with Ireland.
 

 
 
Soon I’ll sew in watercolor pages with a long stitch, possibly with lime green eyelets on the spine…I haven’t quite figured that part out yet.


1 comment:

  1. I love this fabric journal! Wonderful combinations and stitches.

    ReplyDelete