Sunday, January 3, 2010

Great Goddess



Several years ago while walking, I found this on the ground. With its shape, rust, age, and dirt, it struck me as an ancient prehistoric Goddess figure. For a long time, I had it propped up near my work computer. Can you guess what it once was?*

Once I figured out what it was, I bought some new ones and today I played around making a more modern version of the Great Goddess. Using a magnet, a star-like washer, and a pair of ball bearings, I placed her into a mint tin I’d already altered with paint and tucked in a soft brown fabric. Perhaps later I’ll wire the figure into the tin so she can sit propped up.




*It is a battery connector for a car!

5 comments:

  1. This is amazing. I couldn't figure out what it is, despite of the fact, that I deal with this thing every day, since I have to deconnect the battery after each ride, for a problm in the car would suck out every power from the battety trough the night, otherwise.
    You did a nice job with that, merging ancient art with modern steel-device art. Looked at this way, the object eally perfectly reminds old depictions of the great Goddess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When an object is so encrusted with dirt and rust, something you could connect and disconnect every day in your own car Diana, it is easy to overlook it. I think there’s a bit of cable too that made me stand it up and see the connection of a head and then the body followed. I do love archeology and think a lot about unearthing something when I paint, especially when using red and oxide earth colors.

    Thanks, Chris—it is so cool to see something in a different light. As a photographer, you certainly do this every time you look through the lens.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How wonderful, to look at the world through eyes like yours, and see treasure, i like the goddess idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. All artists see the world a little differently, don’t we, Ruthie? And, we can envision things others might pass by, as well! As George Bernard Shaw said (and Robert F. Kennedy used to quote), “Some men see things as they are and say, why? I dream things that never were and say, why not?”

    ReplyDelete